Pre-Diabetes and Gout = Less Meat + Extra Veggies, Pulses and Mushrooms

I'm pre-diabetic, and susceptible to gout.

Therefore I cook a lot of dishes loaded with vegetables, even when I'm eating meat.

I've learned to enjoy dishes where the small amounts of meat act as seasoning, rather than the centrepiece of the dish.

You'll notice most of my recipes include extra vegetables, extra mushrooms and extra beans/lentils compared to other similar recipes. Beans and lentils are great cooked in the pressure cooker with meat, as they absorb some of the meat flavours during cooking. Mushrooms seem to absorb any spare fat in a dish, again absorbing meat flavours as meat renders down during cooking. The pressure cooker is also a much faster and less messy way to cook beans and lentils without "bean foam" stuck to your pans to scrub at the end of cooking.

Since I'm often eating vegan/vegetarian food several days a week, I've found I need a lot of spices and herbs to make them taste of anything, as I'm unimaginative, a lot of my dishes are curries.

Why am I doing a blog post just of this information? Because I hate recipe websites where you have to scroll through 500 pages of medical history, family history, details of a shopping trip someone once did and anecdotes about someone's kids to get a one page recipe for lentils in an instant pot. So I'm divorcing the shitty stories and explanations from the recipes themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samosa Filling, Instant Pot

Rice Cooker Pilau Rice

The Best Kitchen Gadget Of 2023 Is The Digital Pressure Cooker